More than a Minivan - The Toyota Sienna
The Toyota Sienna serves up plenty of practicality in a Lexus-like casserole dish. There's reclining seats with pop-out footrests, a theater sized DVD monitor, and more sound proofing than King Tut's tomb. On the outside, you get tastefully restrained styling, and it can even be tarted up with a Sport package and factory bodykit.
With seating for 8 (optional), available All-Wheel Drive and a silky-smooth drivetrain, the 2015 Toyota Sienna can be one of the most compelling (and expensive) kid-chariots on the market today.
Sienna's Family Friendliness
These days, a minivan has to be packed with features, otherwise it's going to languish on the lot like a used Astro van. And to that end, the Toyota Sienna doesn't disappoint.
There's storage cubbies and cupholders everywhere. In the back, you'll find Aux jacks with a 110 household plug (for Jr's Atari...I mean Playstation). And when nap time rolls around, you can just pull up the rear sunshades and pop in a movie.
While the second row seats in the Toyota Sienna don't magically disappear in to the floor, or convert into a dinning room table, they're quite comfortable on a long trip...which is really what this van is good at.
Base models get:
- power everything
- tri-zone climate control
- power-down windows
- heated mirrors
- steering wheel radio controls
- a bunch of storage bins
- power sliding doors
- Bluetooth/iPod/USB/Satellite radio (that way you can always find a Barney sing-along)
- better seats
- 3.5 inch dash display with backup camera
- roof rack which can be accessed with a handy step ladder (sold separately)
Further up the price scale sits the Toyota Sienna XLE which gets:
- unique metallic grille insert
- automatic headlights
- heated power (front) seats
- tow package
- replica wood trim
For Lexus-grade family transport, the Toyota Sienna Limited gets:
- dual sunroofs
- two-tone leather seats (with driver memory and 2nd row "lounge" seats)
- leather & wood steering wheel
- 10-speaker JBL audio system
- power folding 3rd row seats
- power folding side mirrors with puddle lamps
- keyless ignition
- parking sensors
- 19-inch wheels
- special grill insert
If you want to step it up a notch, you can get the sport-themed 2015 Toyota Sienna SE. It comes with:
- everything in the LE package
- aggressive front fascia with foglights
- mesh inserts and tinted headlights
- special 19-inch wheels
- side skirts
- Altezza style tail lights
- two-toned vinyl/cloth upholstery
- leather-wrapped steering wheel
- white-faced gauges
- power liftgate
- sport-tuned suspension
- re-calibrated steering
Stand alone options for the Toyota Sienna are the typical high-end fare. The highlights include:
- adaptive cruise control
- rain sensing wipers
- rear DVD with the huge monitor that can simultaneously display video from separate sources
- 8-passenger seating (you get a nifty seat insert for the second row, which can be removed and stored in a rear cubbie)
- Xenon headlights
On the safety front, the 2015 gets a full array of side airbags, knee airbags, traction & stability control, and a pre-collision warning system. NHTSA gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
Under the Hood of the Sienna
Toyota still offers a 4-cyl on certain models of the Sienna. It makes 187-hp from 2.7 liters, and 266-hp on the 3.5 liter V6.
4-cyl models are EPA rated at 19 city / 24 hwy / 21 combined. V6 models get 18 city / 25 hwy / 21 combined, and the 2015 Toyota Sienna AWD manages a respectable 17 city / 23 hwy / 19 combined.
All models come with a 6-speed automatic.
Why Should You Buy the Sienna
Toyota has been making top-notch cars for decades, and the Toyota Sienna is easily one of the nicest minivans on the market today.